Saturday, December 09, 2006

Luck

There is a rumor circulating that come 2007, China will no longer adopt to single parents. When I first heard that, I was pretty upset. Not because I was planning on adopting again (I was going to think about it again in a few years.....but I wasn't committing to anything), but because now I no longer have the option. If I had decided to adopt again, I would have gone back to China because then the two kiddos would have a common bond. I know how close my sister and I are and I would love for The Kid to have that, too. But, as Doris Day sang, que sera sera.

After I thought all that through, then I was worked up thinking about my situation. If things in my situation had happened later, I might not have been able to be that sweet little girl's mom. I might not be a mom. That thought just about brings me to tears. I think about all the other hopeful 'someday' parents who maybe didn't luck into a single's slot like I did or who didn't quite meet all the requirements yet. I can't help but feel for them.

I don't buy the whole ladybugs and redthreads theories and all of that, but I do know one thing. My daughter's Chinese name means New Luck. And for whatever reason, we were lucky enough to both be in the right place at the right time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw a story on the news about this last night - totally unfair! They said about 1/3 of adoptions are from single parents so that rules out a lot of people waiting to adopt. How sad... but as you say, you are so lucky to have her as your daughter!